Crash with remote file systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crash with remote file systems

I'm seeing intermittent full crashes, i.e. BC simply disappears, when I'm sync'ing files between my local machine and a server in the office

Local machine is a XP virtual
    Remote server is a Server 2003

The XP machine connected by a VPN through the corporate firewall
    - using "AEP SSL Tunnel" client

Checked and I'm up-to-date ... "Your installed version is 3.1.11 build 12204."

The issue is intermittent and I can't see any pattern, so appreciate it's pain to debug

Try running the 3.2 beta. There's a conflict with some device drivers that we've worked around in it.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Installed the 3.2 beta on one of my virtuals ... got the full crash within 5 minutes :-(

This wasn't involving any VPN connection, so AEP looks to be out

Another thought is I have the machine setup with Windows Live Sync keeping the directories in sync ?

Comment

Hello Steve,

Are you using Windows Live Sync or the updated Windows Live Mesh 2011? Live Sync looks to have been updated to a newer product/version.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Also, are you syncing To the directory under Mesh/Sync control, or From? Or both?
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
            Hello Steve,

Are you using Windows Live Sync or the updated Windows Live Mesh 2011? Live Sync looks to have been updated to a newer product/version.
            I'm using Live Sync - this is the current version, not the new beta, unless that has now been released ?

Comment

Also, are you syncing To the directory under Mesh/Sync control, or From? Or both?
              I'm syncing where both directories are under Live Sync control

Comment

If I google Live Sync, I find the Microsoft Product page:
                https://sync.live.com/

With the text:
                "This page is for Windows Live Sync, which can’t be downloaded anymore. With Windows Live Mesh, you can sync your files and program settings between computers and connect to your PCs remotely."
                Then links to Live Mesh 2011.

Is this the product you are referring to? Or is there another version of Microsoft Live Sync?
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

If I google Live Sync, I find the Microsoft Product page:
                  https://sync.live.com/

With the text:
                  "This page is for Windows Live Sync, which can’t be downloaded anymore. With Windows Live Mesh, you can sync your files and program settings between computers and connect to your PCs remotely."
                  Then links to Live Mesh 2011.

Is this the product you are referring to? Or is there another version of Microsoft Live Sync?
                  Aaron,

I'm using the "current" (aka last) version of Live Sync, which has just been superseded by the Live Mesh. I'm planning on updating to Live Mesh in the next week or so

Comment

Using the 3.2.1 beta build 12831 on my virtual machine that connects via VPN, and getting the abrupt termination, so both AEP and/or Live Sync are possible causes

Comment

Originally posted by steveculshaw View Post
                      Using the 3.2.1 beta build 12831 on my virtual machine that connects via VPN, and getting the abrupt termination, so both AEP and/or Live Sync are possible causes
                      Checked the machines application event log and there's nothing there

Comment

Hello,

You mentioned testing on one of your "virtuals." Is this a Virtual Machine? Do you have a virtual machine you could test on that does not have Live Sync installed, to see if we can narrow down if it Live Sync issues or another process?
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hello,

You mentioned testing on one of your "virtuals." Is this a Virtual Machine? Do you have a virtual machine you could test on that does not have Live Sync installed, to see if we can narrow down if it Live Sync issues or another process?
                          Aaron,
                          I have various machines, both real and virtual. The common thing seems to be comparing between directories on different machines. The virtual above that I use to connect to the office via vpn does not have beyond compare installed. Yet it still shows the abrupt termination.

Cheers,
                          Stevec

Comment

Thanks. So "abrupt termination" is the transfer (either in Explorer or My Computer) ending? I had interpreted it to be the same hard crash from your first post that meant BC3 was shutting down. From your latest forum post, it would be hard for BC3 to hard crash on a system it is not installed on.

Could you go into more detail on the Abrupt Termination? Does this happen mid-transfer? Does the transfer window close or crash?
                            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Aaron,

sorry, not making myself clear ...

It's the same effect ...
                              - I have got BC running with multiple sessions comparing two directories
                              - left hand panel showing my "local" directory, usually on a virtual
                              - the other panel showing the corresponding directory on another server

I find the diff's on one session, start the copy and then tab to the next BC session, find its diff's, start copy, etc.

Sometimes BC just "disappears" ... puff, gone

Haven't seen any pattern, it's happening on ...
                              - my real laptop to machine upstairs
                              - a virtual machine (running on laptop) with remote machine
                              - the virtual machine has got a VPN session running to connect to the corporate site, using AEP
                              - mainly happens on my "dev" directory, which does have the older version of Live Sync monitoring it
                              - but it's not exclusive to that directory

Comment

Working...
                              X