Some bugs with the registry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some bugs with the registry

If the REG_SZ parametr has got the symbols of line_feed+carret_ruturn, BC shows it in the registry - right, but in the reg-file - wrong!
    Seems like BC loses last symbol before LF+CR...

Exported reg-file contains:
    Code:
    "replace2"="\\n
    <"

Thanks for reporting the problem. We'll work on supporting .reg files like these in a future version of BC.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

I assume you used the Microsoft Registry Editor (RegEdit) to create your file. If you try to import it back into RegEdit, it will silently fail. This bug has been in RegEdit for a long time. In order to work around it, BC stores strings with embedded line endings in a binary format which RegEdit can import. Therefore, I suggest creating any future exports with BC instead of RegEdit.

Regards,
      Erik Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        Thanks for reporting the problem. We'll work on supporting .reg files like these in a future version of BC.
        May i suggest:
        1. Manually modify the reg-files from the compare dialog.
        2. Cursor's position in the Text details
        3. Horizontal scrolling also in the main panels not only in the Text details.
        I look forward to!

Originally posted by Erik View Post
        I assume you used the Microsoft Registry Editor (RegEdit) to create your file.
        No
        I used Registry-plugin of Total commander.

If you try to import it back into RegEdit, it will silently fail.
        I know. This is because the regedit.exe sees no difference between "0D00 0A00" and "0D00". BC does.
        Many (i think - almost all of them!) other programs (not only regedit.exe and TC's registry plugin) save line endings like this, just store what they get from the registry.

But my bugreport was not about this!

This bug has been in RegEdit for a long time. In order to work around it, BC stores strings with embedded line endings in a binary format which RegEdit can import. Therefore, I suggest creating any future exports with BC instead of RegEdit.
        Mmm... Cool!
        But what me to do if sometimes i do not export the registry i just compare the file and the local/network registry!

Btw, the symbol 0D00 («) doesn't highlight with the color like all other Whitespaces.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback.

For 1, we currently only support modifying a live registry, and not registry files.
          For 2, our modifications are in a pop-up dialog, so I am unsure what you would like to see with the cursor position in the Text Details line. Have you had a chance to test out our Modify dialog?
          For 3, I've made a note of this and added it to our Customer Wishlist.

Is the issue you are comparing Registry exports from other users, who have already made the .reg files using total commander or RegEdit?
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
          X