Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preserve all file and folder timestamps

Any chance of this in v3.2?

I would like to preserve all file and folder timestamps when copying/syncing (particularly the Creation timestamp, since Modified is already retained on files).
    At present backing up files/folders with BC3 causes the backed-up files/folders to have the Creation timestamp set to the time the files/folders were copied, thereby losing the original Creation timestamp.
    (The backup is nothing fancy, just from one hard disk to another.)

It could be done like this:

If copying left to right, just:
    1. GetFileTime() on left file/folder.
    2. Copy file from left to right.
    3. SetFileTime() on right file/folder using the structures from GetFileTime() above.

I'm not sure what language BC3 is written in but in VB6 the functions are declared as follows:
    Code:
    Private Declare Function GetFileTime Lib "kernel32" (ByVal hFile As Long, lpCreationTime As FILETIME, lpLastAccessTime As FILETIME, lpLastWriteTime As FILETIME) As Long
    Private Declare Function SetFileTime Lib "kernel32" (ByVal hFile As Long, lpCreationTime As FILETIME, lpLastAccessTime As FILETIME, lpLastWriteTime As FILETIME) As Long
    I look forward to this functionality. Please.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by jof; 02-Nov-2010, 05:13 AM.

Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion. This is still on our Customer Wishlist and will probably not make it into the BC3.2 release. I've added your code snippet and notes to our entry.

Our wishlist is not scheduled development, but a place our developers go to for ideas and features for future versions.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
    X