No announcement yet.

Feature Request: use Windows 7's "Credentials Manager" to remember passwords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feature Request: use Windows 7's "Credentials Manager" to remember passwords

Hi.

Using Beyond Compare 3 with Windows 7.

Windows 7 has a "Credentials Manager" that remembers passwords for different domains.

When I do a file comparison with a version from Team Foundation Server (TFS) with different domain credentials than what is currently be used as my windows logon session, I am always prompted for a username\password (although the username is prefilled). I would like beyond compare to remember my password from the "Generic password" section in the "Credentials Manager" for example.

Thank you.

Hello icnocop,

Thanks for the request. The "generic password" is designed to be used to any username input without a password?

How does Visual Studio respond to this scenario?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

I meant to type "Generic Credentials" instead of "Generic password", sorry.

Credentials Management: Kinds of Credentials
      http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa380517.aspx

"Generic credentials are defined and authenticated by applications that manage authorization and security directly instead of delegating these tasks to the operating system. For example, an application can require users to enter a user name and password provided by the application ...

Applications use Credentials Management functions to prompt users for application-defined, generic, credential information, such as user name ... or password. The information entered by the user is returned to the application for authentication.

Credentials Management provides customizable cache management and long-term storage for generic credentials. Generic credentials can be read and written by user processes."

Visual Studio 2008 and 2010 already use the Credential Manager to retrieve saved TFS usernames and passwords.

Thank you.

Comment

Thanks for the further documentation details. I'll add them to our Customer Wishlist.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X