How to Synchronize exact files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Synchronize exact files

I have read and read the help files many times but I just don't understand what I need to do.

I need to have one base folder that will hold 4 GB of image files. Then I will need to search about 100 folders on six other drives. I only want to move the files that are NOT exact to the files in the base folder. If they are exact I want to delete or leave them alone.

What about when you have two or more files with the same name that are not exactly the same? Do you always want to overwrite the file in the base folder when a different file with the same name exists in one or more of your other folders?
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

I will use CRC or byte-by-byte to determine if it is exact or not. The name doesn't matter. My main goal in this project is make sure I do no have any duplicate images.

Which would be the best to us CRC or byte-by-byte?
      Last edited by cthomas; 15-Jan-2011, 04:36 PM.

Comment

In general, a binary (byte by byte) compare is faster because as soon as it sees a byte that is different, it jumps out of the compare. A CRC compare has to read the whole file in order to calculate the CRC.

I'm don't think you'll find an easy way to do what you want, though. Beyond Compare only compares files that have the same name. The only way to find duplicate files is to flatten your folder structure so that all the files appear to be at the same level. You then can enable/show the CRC column, sort by it, then manually scan the file list for files with the same size and CRC code. I wouldn't advise it for a large number of files and folders, though. It could take a while to calculate all the CRC values, and it would be a tedious process to manually look through them all for dups.
        BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

"flatten your folder structure" Let see if I understand you right. You mean all fies are in one folder with no files in subfolders in that one folder. Right?

It looks like I could compare folders if nothing else to find duplicates.

Comment

Originally posted by cthomas View Post
            You mean all fies are in one folder with no files in subfolders in that one folder. Right?
            Well, it looks like that. But the files really don't move...the paths are just ignored. You will find this functionality under the display filter dropdown on the toolbar. Expand all the folders that contain the files you want to compare, then select "Ignore Folder Structure" from the dropdown.
            BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

Working...
            X