Text Edit as a session type?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Text Edit as a session type?

I love using BC3 as a text editor, but putting "Edit Text File" under the Tools menu limits it's usefulness. Why not make "Text Edit" a session type?

Add "Text Edit" as a session type button on the Home screen?
    Add "Text Edit" under the Session -> New Session drop-down menu
    Add "Text Edit" sessions to the Auto-saved sessions list.
    Let user's save named "Text Edit" sessions.

Please...the interface is begging for this...and it would just feel right with how the rest of the application works. Having "Edit Text File" under the Tools menu, on the other hand, feels awkward at best.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Hello Michael,

Thanks for the suggestions. Text Edit is not really a persistent session type, but giving it greater exposure is something we are looking into. For now, you can add it to your Shell Extension for quick access outside of BC3.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
      Text Edit is not really a persistent session type
      Any my question was: Why not?

Was there a specific reason other than a "speed to market" decision? In not, will it be considered down the road? I hope the answers to these questions are "No" and "Yes" respectively.
      BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

Hello Michael,

The concept of a Session in BC3 is a set of options and configurations that help reload the comparison for future use (often pointing to specific locations/files.) The Text Edit does not really have any session settings to save except for the file it would point to and a couple of toggles on the toolbar. It is more of a tool that can be loaded on the fly just by passing it a file name, which can be done from Windows Explorer's shell extension, drag-and-drop, from an open Session, or the command line.

Making the tool more discoverable and quicker to load for specific files is certainly something we are looking into, but it probably would not be grouped with the concept of saved sessions.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Well, that's a shame. Just because the format tab with the encoding overrides is the only thing in session settings that applies to an edit session doesn't mean it can't be treated as a session. I already find myself launching BC3 at times to find that certain file that I worked with last week and can't remember where it resides on the network. I use the auto-saved session history in which the file appeared. Often I want to work with the individual file, not the original file compare it was associated with. If I could save non-compare Edit sessions, I would use it quite frequently.
          Last edited by Michael Bulgrien; 17-Apr-2011, 11:42 AM.
          BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

Hello Michael,

A couple of questions:
            1) I'm aware that your session list can be a bit extensive. About how many Text Edit auto-saved "sessions" would you have in a week?
            2) How do you normally launch the Text Edits? Are you within a Text Compare session launching a Text Edit?
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

You're making a good point simply by asking the question. It probably doesn't make sense to always auto-save Text Edit "sessions"; maybe a rolling most-recently-used list would make more sense. If I were to stop using EditPad++ and use BC3 Text Edit "sessions" exclusively, there could be quite a list. Whether or not the auto-save feature is implemented for Text Edit "sessions", I definitely would want to have the ability to save named Text Edit "sessions" for a select number of key files that I access on a regular basis...kind of like a pinned list of "favorites".

I launch text edits from Windows Explorer
              I launch text edits from within text compares
              I launch text edits by choosing "Edit Text File" from the Tools menu.

The third example is where the short-comings are. The only reason I use the Tools menu is because when I right-click on the tab control and choose "New Tab", there is no option to make it a Text Edit tab. What I really would like to do is create a new Text Edit tab and have an MRU filename dropdown to load a file into the edit pane like I do in any other type of session.
              BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

Thanks for the info, Michael. I've started a Customer Wishlist entry to help track different ideas. The reason for my first question was one of the ideas would be to tackle this like a traditional text editor and show maybe the last 5 files in the File menu; but I know that method would not really work for you or our other power customers so I was curious of a rough, expected number. The favorites idea/explicitly saving them could work as well.

While we do not have the Edit Text file on the Home screen (from a Ctrl+T New Tab), we do have a keyboard shortcut for a new Text Edit Tab. You can add a keyboard shortcut to it from the Tools menu -> Customize Commands.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Newer versions of Microsoft office provide a rolling MRU list with a pinned list of favorites. That would be sufficient for me. No need to save an ever growing history of text edit sessions in the "More than 6 days ago" category.

Perhaps that's where the MRU list would roll off...keep everything in the auto-saved list withing the last 6 days, but if the MRU list grows beyond a specified limit, start rolling them off in the "More than 6 days ago" category.
                  BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

Working...
                  X