No announcement yet.

Compare HTML problems

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Compare HTML problems

    When I compare 2 html files, the output display shows all the tags, e.g.

    <Copyrigth 1998 Panreac Química S.A. - all rigths reserved>
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Style-Type" CONTENT="text/css">
    <LINK REL=stylesheet HREF="STYLES/DEFAULT.CSS" TYPE="text/css">
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    <META NAME="description" CONTENT="** Panreac Química, S.A. **">
    <TITLE>Alizarin Yellow R *(C.I. 14030) PA** Ficha de datos de seguridad Panreac Química, S.A. </TITLE>
    <H3 ALIGN=CENTER CLASS=pageTop>S a f e t y D a t a S h e e t
    <BR><SMALL CLASS=pageTop2>According to Regulation (EC) 1907/2006</SMALL></H3></B>
    ************************************************** ***

    when the raw html format viewed is just as you'd view it on a normal webpage .. I can't see any options to ignore the header tags, is anyone able to help?

  • #2

    Would you like to view the HTML as Text (and just see the text output on the screen) or see everything but Ignore Unimportant Differences, where you define unimportant to be various headers or other information?

    For the HTML as Text, you can download our HTML to text file format, here:

    To define text you wish to view, but ignore for comparison purposes, you can follow this guide and video:

    Let us know if you have any questions.
    Aaron P Scooter Software


    • #3
      Yes, I wanted to view the HTML as text and your HTML to text file format link worked.

      However, it only works when I manually select the files in Beyond Compare.

      If I try and run it from the command line, i.e.
      Bcomp @script.txt File1.html File2.html Output.html

      I get an application error pop up dialog box saying "An error occurred in the application" followed by a choice of continue, restart or close application.

      Do you have any idea why this might be?


      • #4

        Try adding quotes around the file names on the command line. Whitespaces could be causing issues with the number of parameters:
        bcompare.exe "@c:\script.txt" "c:\file1.html" "c:\file2.html" "c:\output.html"

        Is there a reason you are currently using BComp? It is probably better to explicitly pick BComp.exe or depending on which you need to use (if bcompare.exe does not meet your needs).
        Aaron P Scooter Software


        • #5

          Thanks for your suggestion.

          However, I've tried putting it in quotes, and using all the Bcomp.exe, and syntax but it's still crashing.

          It only happens when I'm comparing 2 html files and I had to download an "HTML-to-text" alternative format which works fine when I select the files manually but for some reason, crashed Bcompare when I call it from the command line?

          Also, on the page for Alternatives to Built in Formats (, there is a "use with caution!" message - could this be the root cause of the problem?

          Am currently using the trial version of Beyond Compare.
          Last edited by rafiselwyn; 09-Oct-2011, 06:06 PM.


          • #6

            No, the purpose of the warning is that installed formats are overriding the built-in defaults. It is just to inform users that installing a rule such as HTML Tables would then treat all html files as tables in the Data Compare unless properly configured. The HTML Text rule should work fine from script, and is expected to work if the graphical interface works.

            Would you be able to email us at [email protected] with:
            1) Your from the Help menu -> Support; Export
            2) A pair of html files that throw the error when you try to script a report with them
            3) The script.txt file that throws the error.

            This way, we can try to recreate what you are seeing in office with your sample files.

            Please let us know if you have any questions.
            Aaron P Scooter Software


            • #7
              Thanks Aaron, I've forwarded this information on.

              Kind regards,


              • #8
                Thanks. I followed up with an email. It looks like you did have HTML Tables installed and the script was using a file-report command, which would then use the Data-report instead of Text-report and HTML to text rule.

                Using the text-report command, or disabling the HTML Tables rule by unchecking it in the Tools menu -> File Formats should work. Let us know if you have any questions.
                Aaron P Scooter Software