Quick Compare on ZIP files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Compare on ZIP files

By default BC treats zip files as folders and allows comparison of the contents, which is an awesome feature, but sometimes it is useful to just do a quick binary comparison on zip files to see if they are identical before diving into the details and I am having a difficult time doing so in the latest version (3.3.5).

In Options -> Startup I have:
    checked "When starting with file comparison, show quick compare dialog"
    selected "Binary quick compare"
    unchecked "Open view automatically if files are different"

However when I compare two zip files using the explorer context menu it goes straight into fold compare mode even if the files are bit-for-bit identical.

So then I tried Session -> New Session -> Hex Compare. But when I select the first file it automatically opens a new Folder Compare session, rather than staying in Hex Compare mode. Grrr.

Finally I figured out that once BC has opened the zip files in folder mode, I can go up a directory, select the zip file and click "Quick Compare" in the context menu. That is a round-about way of doing things though.

What is the easiest way to get BC to stop second-guessing me and perform a binary quick compare on two zip files?

Hello,

If zips are currently set to be treated as folders, then the shell extension menu or drag and drop controls will treat them the same as dropping a folder onto the view. Expanding this functionality is on our Customer Wishlist.

For the Hex Compare, drag and drop won't work, but if you use the browse button you can open the zip file that way.

If you remove the archive association, the archive will be treated as a file in all cases. However, this would remove the ability to treat it as a folder and browse/compare contents within.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
    X