BC: the savior of Git

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC: the savior of Git

(I did search for "Git" in the forums and found nothing)

If BeyondCompare was able to compare versions (branches, commits, etc.) of Git side-by-side, it would be very popular, especially as BC runs on Linux.

Git's biggest deficiency is that one cannot operate on more than one version at a time. I have actually created a separate, additional, read-only "master" repository so I can easily check the differences (and "rebase" interactively).

If BC could do this virtually, it would become the de-facto UI for Git. I would happily pay another $30 for this add-on.

Cheers

Hello Richard,

Performing a diff on folders is not currently supported, but we have seen successful reports of using the -dir-diff paramter.

We have a thread here:

Please note the updated instructions for defining Git
    Beyond Compare is a multi-platform utility that combines directory compare and file compare functions in one package. Use it to manage source code, keep directories in sync, compare program output, etc.

And that you might need the newest version of Git.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

I understand and appreciate that BC can be the designated comparison tool called from Git (and TortoiseGit, etc.); I'm suggesting that BC be the primary interface, at least for comparison.

I am not a command-line person. I dislike having to remember the state (or even which branch) of my repository. I really dislike having to type or paste long file paths. I want to see how things relate, not imagine them.

Rebasing, while necessary, is a horror. How much better if BC could present a three-way merge of the conflicts in an entire repository, and how much better if the directory structure was visible, not just file by file.

Comment

Working...
      X