hex view aligned by address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hex view aligned by address

The default for hex view seems to be to try to align by matching data. When the 2 hex files have substantial differences, this can result in a big jumble (the address/offset column progresses at different rate, and are generally not "even" (that is, multiples of 16), and counting to the right place is more difficult.

In the current task I'm trying to do, I'm trying to copy some fields that are at fixed offsets from file A to the same fields in file B, even though the preceding data doesn't have many matches (and so mostly doesn't align).

I'd like to tell the hex view to just align by address, but if there is a way of doing that already in BC3, I've forgotten how ... is that feature available?

Thanks, and Hoppy Gnu Deer

(for foreign readers, that should be pronounced as "Happy New Year" ... it's a bad pun I picked up from a greeting card illustrator)

/dps

If you use the "Rules" toolbar button or the Session->Session Settings menu item you can open the comparison options, and if you change the "Alignment" option to "None" it will do a byte-by-byte comparison instead of trying to align anything.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks.

That works like a charm for viewing.

But ... the hex viewer doesn't allow copying from one side to the other, does it? It's just a viewer, it seems.

/dps

Comment

Yes, the v3 hex compare is read-only. Fortunately, as of Dec 23rd, we have you covered: http://www.scootersoftware.com/beta.php
        Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Craig View Post
          Yes, the v3 hex compare is read-only. Fortunately, as of Dec 23rd, we have you covered: http://www.scootersoftware.com/beta.php
          Verrrry nice!

/dps

Comment

Working...
          X