Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conversion Error PDF Documents

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Conversion Error PDF Documents

    Beyond Compare 3
    Version 3.3.8 build 16340

    I am getting Conversion Error in Beyond Compare 3 comparing two (almost identical) PDF files.

    From what I can find on the Internet, it does not seem to be the usual suspects, like strange file names or too-long pathnames, which is less than 60, including the file name, and no spaces anywhere.

    I tried replacing the PdfToText.exe with the latest one from whatever the web side that makes it is, but get the exact same result.

    If I mis-name the PdfToText.exe, when comparing the PDF files, Beyond Compare whines that it cannot find that executable, so I know it's at least getting that far.


    I tried converting the PDFs directly, by drag-and-drop on to PdfToText.exe, but neither converts that way (other .PDF files I have do indeed convert -- a .txt version is created. Beyond Compare will work properly to do this automatically on these .PDF files.)



    So I suppose it's a flaw in the PdfToText.exe program, even the latest one (which chokes on the same .pdf files as the older version that comes with Beyond Compare 3) so I suppose it's not your problem after all.

  • #2
    Hello,

    To directly test the PdfToText program, I would suggest running from the Windows Command Line, where you can pass in both the .pdf and a temp.txt target.

    Another test is to launch Adobe, and use the File menu -> Save As Text, and gauge this output. Does it generate a blank file, or provide a detailed error or warning message? This isn't the same process as PDFToText, but it can often provide clues if the pdf is security-lock protected, or generates a blank file from within Adobe itself.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Aaron View Post
      Hello,

      To directly test the PdfToText program, I would suggest running from the Windows Command Line, where you can pass in both the .pdf and a temp.txt target.

      "Permission Error: Copying of text from this document is not allowed."

      Save As gave a similar-sounding whine when I tried to force it to .txt.

      Comment


      • #4
        Unfortunately PDFs have a set of permissions built into them to say whether printing, copying, editing, etc are allowed, and PdfToText respects those permissions. I'm afraid you'll either need to contact the original author to get a version without that restriction or search for third-party software that will re-enable copying.
        Zoë P Scooter Software

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Zoë View Post
          Unfortunately PDFs have a set of permissions built into them to say whether printing, copying, editing, etc are allowed, and PdfToText respects those permissions. I'm afraid you'll either need to contact the original author to get a version without that restriction or search for third-party software that will re-enable copying.
          Is there a way to force Beyond Compare to open them as binaries and compare that way? It will do this with Word, etc. It's not the greatest solution, but if the strings are text, it should align very well in general.

          Comment


          • #6
            Hello,

            We can open them in the Hex Compare, or you can switch from the PDF Documents format (with conversion) to Default (without conversion). I'd recommend the Hex Compare method.

            Also, we should be converting Word files as well. Do you not have the Word conversion installed?
            Aaron P Scooter Software

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by AChimpNamedCornelius View Post
              Is there a way to force Beyond Compare to open them as binaries and compare that way? It will do this with Word, etc. It's not the greatest solution, but if the strings are text, it should align very well in general.
              In the text compare you can click the dropdown next to the "Format" button and select "Everything else" to see the raw "text". You won't get usable results though: PDF files can use both compression and encryption, so seeing snippets of real text is unlikely.
              Zoë P Scooter Software

              Comment

              Working...
              X