Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Data Compare", CSV vs Spreadsheet, ignoring Carriage Return and Line Feed

Hi All,
    I noticed that there is a thread in "Text Compare" regarding this.
    However, this request is a little different. When comparing CSV files to Excel Spreadsheet, it treats them as a "Data Compare", and not as a text compare.

I'm running into the issue where the CSV file has a Line Feed, whereas the Excel Spreadsheet has Carriage Return and Line Feed. So far, I have to do some post processing to filter these out, but it take a bit of time. I'm viewing the Data Compare Report as an HTML (only the columns that I care about and have a difference), and then viewing the html I can ignore the items that show up as "differences" between
    Code:
    <span class="DataSegSigDiff"></span>
    It would help immensely to have more options when comparing CSV and spreadsheet files, and allow it to ignore this type of white space.

Hello,

In the Data/Table Compare, you can go to the Session menu -> Session Settings, Columns tab. You can Edit defaults or edit the specific column and mark Whitespace as Unimportant. The View menu -> Visible Whitespace will let you view the whitespace to confirm the Carriage Return and view if it is Red/Important or Blue/Unimportant text. This should mark a difference in line break type as unimportant, assuming it is contained within the cell.

If it helps, you could open these files in the Text Compare by launching the blank, new Text Compare first. Then opening your files will open in this view. You can also download an additional File Format here, in the Alternatives section:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/downl...kb_moreformats
    Once installed, in the Tools menu -> File Formats dialog, the topmost match for *.csv is the format used. There will be two: a white icon for Text format, and a gold icon for data format.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thank you very much! That was tremendous help!

Comment

Working...
      X