Folder Merge & n-way Folder Diff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folder Merge & n-way Folder Diff

I am curious what the 3-way folder merge will look like. Here is my scenario:

I have 2 folder trees that have a common ancestor (we branched our code and applied a different set of changes to each branch). I want merge the two branches back into one common folder. Is this what the 3-way folder merge will do? Will it auto merge any files without conflicts, and bring up a 3-way file merge for any file it encounters with conflicts?

What about files that were renamed in one branch, but not the other? The renamed file would not match the ancestor or the other branch. What would be done in that situation?

If I had an n-way folder compare open, would I be able to:
    1. select a file out of three different folders and launch a 3-way file merge using those files?
    2. select a subfolder out of three different folders and launch a 3-way folder merge using those folders?
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

It's too early to say with any certainty, but our prototype has 3 side-by-side folder panes, with common ancestor in the center, and an output pane below. I don't believe we've done any work on having the output location be the same as one of the inputs.

There's an auto-merge command for merging files without conflicts.

Double-clicking an entry will open a 3-way Text Merge in a child view.

A renamed file will show as a file deletion and addition on one side. You would be able to disjointly select the renamed file along with the ancestor and other branch version, and open a 3-way Text Merge.

1. Yes.
    2. Yes.
    Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
    X