Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hex Compare

Hex Compare works nicely.

I wish I could actually move bytes from one side to the other though (equal number of bytes updated from one side to the other)... I realize there would be a risk to corrupting binary files, but for those that know what they are doing, a write-enabled override would be nice.

Please consider (preferably via factory settings) providing a list of file types to be opened via Hex Compare. For example, if I double-click on a paired set of MSI files, they open in a text compare. Since they are binary files, it would be much more useful if they opened in the hex compare.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

If we are going do a wish list for the HEX view, I would like:

1) To be able to edit one side without changing the length of the file.
    1.1) Change bytes in hex by keyboard input. Allowing half byte input - allowing you to change the right or left hex digit of a byte.
    1.2) Drag a selection of bytes on full byte boundries (not half bytes) to another area in the file with the option of leaving the source in its original position (copy) or leaving binary zeros behind (Move). At the destination, it overwrites the previous data.

2) To be able to insert additional hex bytes into a file, or delete hex bytes from a file.

Just wishin'

Comment

Yes, my thoughts on an "edit" mode are just that too... just wishin'. In actuality, I don't expect an edit mode at all. In fact, I would be disappointed if the Scooter team spent time creating an edit mode for the hex view in place of more valuable enhancements to the product (such as an OLE Property compare).

My only real request for hex view is a few smarts on files without defined file formats to determine which ones are opened in a text compare, and which are opened in a hex compare.
      BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

Hex editing is a wishlist item. We'd like to do it, but it's not likely to get in for quite a while.

Last I heard we were planning on detecting binary files automatically and opening the appropriate viewer automatically. That was a while ago though, so I I don't know if anything has changed that would preclude it.
        Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Bulgrien View Post
          Please consider (preferably via factory settings) providing a list of file types to be opened via Hex Compare. For example, if I double-click on a paired set of MSI files, they open in a text compare. Since they are binary files, it would be much more useful if they opened in the hex compare.
          You can associate MSI files with Hex Compare. Open Tools | File Formats, find the Hex Files entry and edit the Mask field.
          Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

I realize that, Tim.
            A user does not have to identify every file type to open in a text compare. That is a good thing.
            A user does have to identify every file type to open in a hex compare. That is a not-so-good thing.

As Craig indicated, detecting binary files automatically and selecting the appropriate default compare session (hex) would be better than requiring users to update a list of binary file types.
            BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

Yes, of course. I was just responding to your request for a "list of file types to be opened via Hex Compare". I didn't want anyone to think it wasn't available.
              Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks for fixing this in build 448. Works great!
                BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

Working...
                X