Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hex Compare: workingaround lack of Align With...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hex Compare: workingaround lack of Align With...

I have two ~20Mb files that differ in trhe many scattered single bytes I am interested in ... plus a a few block insertion/deletions which I am not, but which BC does not spot, so prangs the comparison.

Without Align With... , how best to proceed, short of repeated trial-and-error edits to the files themselves?

Thanks.

Hello Chris,

Hex Compare Align With is something we are looking into. If you would like, please send us a pair of sample files and we can test against them when developing the feature. If you do so, please include a link back to this forum post for reference.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks. Do you have an answer to my question?

Comment

There is no workaround to manually align your files. With a pair of sample files we could maybe have other suggestions or work to improve the current heuristic. Without a pair of sample files, you will have to wait until the new features or enhancements are available.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

> There is no workaround to manually align your files.

OK thanks. I may be able to get further with Text Compare.

If Text Compare every has the ability to set/delete line breaks for comparison only, I certainly would be.

Since the data is in records, I may be able to pre-process it to make each record be a line.

> With a pair of sample files we could maybe have other suggestions
          > or work to improve the current heuristic.

Sorry, I am not free to disclose the content.

Comment

Depending on your Data, if it is delimited or fixed-width column based, you may be able to use the Data Compare as well.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks, but I think Data Compare can never make sense of files Text Compare cannot.

Comment

I am also interested in, at least, manual alignment capabilities in hex compare mode.
                Where are you today on this topic ? Have samples files been provided to Scooter Software study case ?

Comment

Manual alignment in the Hex Compare is still on our wish list, but doesn't have a release date set. If you have example files you would like to share with us, you can send them to [email protected].
                  Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
                  X