Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

13298 MP3 Compare Importance

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 13298 MP3 Compare Importance

    In FC I have a few thousand file pairs having a small set of tag fields that are important plus a large scatter of fields that are not... but which unfortunately default to Important. How should I set the unimportants? Currently I can find no way except opening successive mistmatched file pairs in MP3 Compare to see if there are some more unimportant fields in Session Sessions, and untick them there - hard work.

    Thanks.

  • #2
    If you know what your important tags are, define them as grammars, set everything else as unimportant, save your settings as your session defaults, then compare your thousands of files using a "Rules-based comparison".
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Michael Bulgrien View Post
      If you know what your important tags are, define them as grammars
      Thanks, but how? On the MP3 Formats, I find no Grammar tab.

      Comment


      • #4
        Set the MP3 Compare defaults on the Home screen, expand the Edit session defaults folder, select the MP3 Compare, and go to the Importance tab. From here, click the Unmark All button, then check the "small set" of fields you wish to compare. All future MP3 comparisons will then use these settings.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Aaron View Post
          Set the MP3 Compare defaults on the Home screen ... All future MP3 comparisons will then use these settings.
          Thanks Aaron, that works... but unfortunately with the side effect of overriding the settings of apparently all my other saved MP3 sessions too. Aren't default settings intended to apply only to subsequent creations?

          Comment


          • #6
            Correct. A saved MP3 Compare session will save the currently checked items in the Importance tab for that session. New MP3 Compare sessions will use the new defaults. I quickly re-tested this and did not run into any issues.

            If you have a saved Folder Compare, this will use the defaults for any child sessions unless you save child session settings by launching a child session, saving the session settings using the dropdown "for these files" or "for all files" and then re-saving the parent Folder Compare.

            If you are still having any trouble, please send in your current Support package (Help menu -> Support; Export) to [email protected] and include a link back to this forum post. Please include screenshot(s) or detailed steps on which session you are having trouble with and which values you expect to see.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by chrisjj View Post
              Thanks, but how? On the MP3 Formats, I find no Grammar tab.
              Sorry, I missed that you were asking about an MP3 compare. My bad.
              BC v4.0.7 build 19761
              ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                Correct. A saved MP3 Compare session will save the currently checked items in the Importance tab for that session. New MP3 Compare sessions will use the new defaults.
                OK, I'll take that as a correction to the previous "All future MP3 comparisons will then use these settings."

                Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                I quickly re-tested this and did not run into any issues.
                Here's the test showing my issue.

                1 Load workspace inc. MP3 session, see all elements are checkmarked:
                http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/9...hoppro1gif.png

                2 In MP3 setting defaults, clear all element checkmarks:
                http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/1926/regionj.png

                3 Reload workspace

                Expected: all checkmarked
                Observed: none checkmarked: http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/4844/regionl.png

                BCsupport.zip sent to [email protected]

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Michael Bulgrien View Post
                  Sorry, I missed that you were asking about an MP3 compare. My bad.
                  OK, thanks anyway for the thought, Michael.
                  Last edited by chrisjj; 25-Apr-2011, 06:38 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Any sessions stored in a workspace are not considered new and thus do not use session defaults.

                    I have previously explained to you what session settings are stored in workspaces. I suggest you re-read the following post:
                    http://www.scootersoftware.com/vbull...6&postcount=15
                    Erik Scooter Software

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Erik View Post
                      Any sessions stored in a workspace are not considered new and thus do not use session defaults.

                      I have previously explained to you what session settings are stored in workspaces.
                      I don't mind where BC stores a session's settings, provided it stores them somewhere.

                      Are you suggesting that BC is not supposed to store this session's settings?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by chrisjj View Post
                        Are you suggesting that BC is not supposed to store this session's settings?
                        Actually, I'm saying almost the exact opposite. Did you re-read the earlier post? What it is describing is not where settings are stored, but which settings are stored.

                        If you save a workspace when you have unnamed or modified sessions open, all of their settings are remembered. Thus, when you load that workspace, the settings will be exactly what they were the last time.
                        Erik Scooter Software

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Erik
                          Did you re-read the earlier post? What it is describing is not where settings are stored, but which settings are stored.
                          It describes "which session settings are stored in workspaces".

                          Originally posted by Erik
                          If you save a workspace when you have unnamed or modified sessions open, all of their settings are remembered.
                          Are you suggesting this applies in the case in question? In which case, how come the settings are seen changed after reloading?
                          Last edited by chrisjj; 26-Apr-2011, 10:29 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by chrisjj View Post
                            No - it describes "which session settings are stored in workspaces".
                            That's pretty much the exact wording I used in my post. Does the following rephrasing make things clearer for you?

                            The earlier post describes which settings will be restored exactly as they were when the workspace was saved.

                            Originally posted by chrisjj View Post
                            Are you suggesting this applies in the case in question? In which case, how come the settings are seen changed after reloading?
                            Actually, after looking at the settings you emailed, I discovered that the workspace is remembering it as a child session. As described, child sessions will only have the filenames be remembered.
                            Erik Scooter Software

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Erik View Post
                              Does the following rephrasing make things clearer for you?

                              The earlier post describes which settings will be restored exactly as they were when the workspace was saved.
                              It would do... if it were true. But according to my test results, it is not.

                              Originally posted by Erik View Post
                              Actually, after looking at the settings you emailed, I discovered that the workspace is remembering it as a child session. As described, child sessions will only have the filenames be remembered.
                              There is no statement that "child sessions will only have the filenames remembered" in your posting. And it contradicts your:

                              If you save a workspace when you have unnamed or modified sessions open, all of their settings are remembered.
                              If you have reproduced the loss of settings I reported, I'd be grateful to hear this issue is going to be fixed.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X