Excel: Switching between Sheets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excel: Switching between Sheets

I am sorry, if this has been asked already, I am comparing Excel sheets (Table Compare) with different sheets. Can I easily switch between these sheets in the comparison view? It only visualises the first sheet and that is the one with a project description, not data for me. ;-) The comparator is "MS Excel Workbooks", btw... The file is in *.xls format (not *.xlsx).

Thank you!

Hello,

The default Excel comparison in the Table Compare supports showing the Current sheet. We have a couple of alternatives (alternate formats, viewer, combination) here:
    Beyond Compare is a multi-platform utility that combines directory compare and file compare functions in one package. Use it to manage source code, keep directories in sync, compare program output, etc.

Improving this behavior to support sheet switching is something on our wishlist.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
      Hello,

The default Excel comparison in the Table Compare supports showing the Current sheet. We have a couple of alternatives (alternate formats, viewer, combination) here:
      Beyond Compare is a multi-platform utility that combines directory compare and file compare functions in one package. Use it to manage source code, keep directories in sync, compare program output, etc.

Improving this behavior to support sheet switching is something on our wishlist.
      just found out today there was an answer. Seems the info-email got stuck somewhere.

That at least the "current sheet" matters is already helpful. Thank you for that information!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
        Hello,

Is there any update on the progress of this item on your wishlist?

Every time I try to compare 2 multi-tab/multi-sheet.xlsx, this limitation bites me. I hate having to edit+save the .xlsx files to switch the active tab. I keep expecting BC4 to open the .xlsx like a folder-compare. Each tab/sheet would be represented like it was a "file". Then you'd compare tabs/sheets, as desired. At the surface, this paradigm sure seems intuitive; I'm betting there's a bunch of corner-cases that make it super complicated, considering this has been a "wish" for at least 2 years.

Comment

Yup, it's definitely something we're aware of and isn't quite as easy as throwing it into the Folder Compare.

You can actually bind .xlsx as a Zip archive type in the Options dialog, Archive Associations, which does allow them to open as folders in BC4. Since xlsx is a plain zip package, the files within are viewable, but not idealably comparable. For example. the interior file timestamps aren't accurate, so you must perform content comparisons to find changes, and those changes will be XML nodes.

We've been bitten a few times when announcing things before they're deployable, but if you subscribe to the News and Announcements forum for email updates, you'll get a ping when we have release notes for minor patches as well as any news on a BC5 beta that we post there.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
          X