Help: "Take Left Then Right" option missing from menu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: "Take Left Then Right" option missing from menu

I'm new to Beyond Compare, so I may be missing something simple here, but I can't figure out why the "Take Left Then Right" option isn't appearing in the context menu or Edit menu. Here's the situation:

BC: Version 3.3.8 Standard Single User
    Context: BC set as the Merge Tool for Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate using TFS as the source control

I have conflicting changes in both files on the same line (see image 1 below). I'd like to keep both lines. I've found a few workarounds, but my initial googling lead me to several articles that mention a "Take Left Then Right" option. It doesn't appear to be in the context menu (see image 2 below) or on the Edit menu (see image 3 below). Also, the Ctrl-B shortcut key doesn't appear to do anything either.

Any light that can be shed on this situation would be appreciated.

Hello,

It looks like you are in a Text Compare session (Diff) and not the Text Merge session. The Take Left then Right command would only apply to a Text Merge session (which, can be a 2 or 3 way merge, and an additional Output pane on the bottom):
    Beyond Compare is a multi-platform utility that combines directory compare and file compare functions in one package. Use it to manage source code, keep directories in sync, compare program output, etc.

Do you have BC3 Pro and the Text Merge session available? Text Merge is a BC3 Pro specific feature.

How is Visual Studio currently configured? If it is only passing in two parameters, this would launch in the Text Compare for a 'diff'. You would need to add /fv="Text Merge" to the command line to force a 2way Merge with only two parameters. Normally, a 'diff' would use the Text Compare session, while a merge would use the Text Merge session. Since this is TFS managed, I would suspect a merge could be used, and it would even provide a 3rd file (common ancestor) which will make merging much easier.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Aaron,

Thanks for the quick reply and great explanation.

Dubman

Comment

Working...
      X