Text Compare Report problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Text Compare Report problems

Several issues/requests for the text compare report.

1. Entering 0 for all margins on the page setup causes parts of the report to be cut off, this can be viewed on the print preview tab. I would like to use 0 to maximize the content "printed" since I really will be sending the content to a pdf printer that will not actually be printed. If 0 is not viable for some technical reason, then please don't allow selection of a margin smaller than supported (currently approx .25 inches).

2. Can we lose the two blank lines in the header on the first page and the one blank line on subsequent pages?

3. If showing the Mode line in the header, might as well include the Show Context and Ignore Unimportant options there as well

4. Would be nice if the right file name lined up over the right column when printing using the side-by-side option

5. HTML report loses original formatting (e.g. tabs) particularly at beginning of lines

Text Compare Report takes long time with RegEx-Grammar

Hello!

I'm trying to report text differences of files.

If I use grammar without RegEx all reports seem to be generated a little bit faster as the Text Compare window opens (<1s).

If I use grammer with RegEx the Text Compare window opens not notable slower, but the Text Compare Report takes much more time depending on file size and differences (1600 lines/40k=6s, 2500 lines/80k=150s, 3500 lines/160k=not possible).

The RegEx-grammar (unchecked to be considered as unimportant in the session) is:
    'generated code'=Basic/Text matching="^\s*BEGIN\s*$"/RegEx checked
    This ignores the word BEGIN surrounded by any whitespace only in the line.

Why does this happen? Isn't i. e. Statistics information available if the Text Compare window is already open? Is the comparison performed again to generate the report?

Greetings Lutz

Comment

Syntax highlighting is different on the text compare until the line after a comment. In my example, all numbers should be green, but they are brown in the first line (notice that the = sign is green), one is brown and one is green in the second line (always the line that contains the first comment) and correct in the third line (always the line after the first comment).

Last edited by kjsmithtx; 14-Jul-2008, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kjsmithtx View Post
        1. Entering 0 for all margins on the page setup causes parts of the report to be cut off, this can be viewed on the print preview tab. I would like to use 0 to maximize the content "printed" since I really will be sending the content to a pdf printer that will not actually be printed. If 0 is not viable for some technical reason, then please don't allow selection of a margin smaller than supported (currently approx .25 inches).
        "0" means the edge of the paper. We're not going to change that. The problem you're seeing is that your printer doesn't support drawing to the edge of the paper. In the next release (build 463), we'll add a "Max" button that calculates the margin sizes to fit as much data as possible for your printer.

2. Can we lose the two blank lines in the header on the first page and the one blank line on subsequent pages?
        In the next release, we'll remove the blank line between "Mode" and "Left file". However, we'll keep the blank line after the title.

3. If showing the Mode line in the header, might as well include the Show Context and Ignore Unimportant options there as well
        We'll add these in the next release.

5. HTML report loses original formatting (e.g. tabs) particularly at beginning of lines
        This will be fixed in the next release.
        Erik Scooter Software

Comment

Text Compare Report handling of syntax highlighting should be fixed in 3.0.5.
          Erik Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
          X