text-compare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• text-compare

Does anyone know where to find freeware text-compare for two books in pdf format. I can only find line-by-line text compares and I need something that recognizes line breaks and text font while ignoring bolds,italics,etc. Surely there must be something out there for natural text docs??? I have literally searched for hours and would appreciate any feedback.

Sounds like you are expecting an awful lot for freeware!

I haven't tried them...but have you looked at these tools (not freeware)?

Ez PDF Compare
    Diff Doc
    Brava Viewer
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

Thanks. I found something interesting in a shareware program called Compare Suite that does a word by word comparison rather than line by line. But still having problems with line breaks...I've read that some of these programs need to be 'aligned' but I haven't found out how to go about this???

Comment

text-compare

Better yet, what I would really like to know is why a full line of spaces is not ignored, even when I have 'ignore all spaces' applied? Is there a word by word comparison program that will not treat full lines of spaces as a line of text? Whether it is pay, shareware, or freeware?

Comment

Are they really full lines of spaces, or do they contain other characters that appear to be spaces when displayed?

I use a utility pdftotext for searching .pdf files. It's part of the package xpdf: http://foolabs.com/xpdf/ It might be helpful to you, although it doesn't fit your exact requirements.

Comment

Thanks, Dave. I have found a pretty good program that fulfills my requirements in Araxis Merge. It handles my directly download pdfs pretty well. If anyone can give me any more tips on text-compares for authors or librarians comparing two books while comparing word by word it would help me significantly. I need to find something for $100.00 USD or less or freeware or shareware. Thanks to Dave and Michael for your posts.

Comment

Working...
            X