Replace All does not replace all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace All does not replace all

The "Replace All" button on the Replace dialog only replaces instances below the current location of the text cursor.

"Replace All" should replace all.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

"Replace All" is intended to only act from the cursor. Enable "Wrap search" to have it act on all visible lines.
    Erik Scooter Software

Comment

Do you know any other editors that work that way? All is All in every editor I know.

For partial file replacements, there should be an option to replace in the current selection.
      The user should be able to select from the cursor to the end of file then replace all in the selection.
      BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

EditPlus's "Replace All" only acts from the cursor. BC2, UltraEdit, Delphi and HomeSite also act from the cursor unless you change an option. In BC3, we've simplified the find/replace dialog by getting rid of these more obscure options. Perhaps we'll reconsider for a future version.
        Erik Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks for the list, Erik. I don't have my licensed version of UltraEdit installed right now, so I was unable to check there.

Just for the record, no Microsoft products I know starts a Replace All from the cursor position. This includes all Microsoft Office and Microsoft Visual Studio products.

The fuctionality feels wrong to me on a Microsoft platform. I think I've performed a global replacement, but the find string remains intact in parts of the file. Could I convice you to add a "Always wrap on Replace All operations" to the tweaks dialog?
          BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

Visual SlickEdit 6 acts as BC3 does ('Wrap at beginning/end' enabled replaces all, otherwise all in search direction forward or backward).

UltraEdit 14.20 has an advanced option 'Replace All is from top of file' but no option for backward/up replace.

Comment

Our next release (3.0.15) will likely include a "Replace All is from top of file" tweak.
              Erik Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks, guys.
                BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

"Replace All is from top of file" tweak works great! Thanks! I was pleased to see that the cursor position is still retained after the replace all. Thanks again!
                  BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

Working...
                  X