Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacements on hex addresses

Hi,

I have on my left addresses that consist of 8 hexadecimal digits. On the right, addresses that have '0x' followed by 8 hexadecimal digits (usually different from those in the left.

I want these blocks of addresses to be considered unimportant changes.

I tried the replacement:
    Left: [0-9A-F][0-9A-F][0-9A-F][0-9A-F][0-9A-F][0-9A-F][0-9A-F][0-9A-F]
    Right: 0x[0-9a-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f]

However, this didn't work. What's the way to do this?

Cheers,
    PM

Hello,

This forum post may have some information useful for you:

Text Replacements cannot match on a mask on the "right"/destination side. For your replacement to work, the two 8 digit sets would need to match. Otherwise, you may want to define two different Unimportant Grammars:
    Beyond Compare is a multi-platform utility that combines directory compare and file compare functions in one package. Use it to manage source code, keep directories in sync, compare program output, etc.

How does that work for you?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Better to create a single unimportant case-insensitive grammar with the leading "0x" defined as optional so that the detected grammar element on both sides is the same. Here is a grammar definition that might work for you:

(?:0x){0,1}[0-9a-f]{8}

(?: ) Groups characters without creating a back reference. The grouped text is "0x"
      {0,1} Repeats prior grouped characters 0 to 1 times
      [0-9a-f] Creates a character class for a hexidecimal digit
      {8} Repeats prior class 8 times
      BC v4.0.7 build 19761
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

Scooter - I just tried the regex expression I provided above.
        Although it works fine in a regex find/replace operation, it errors when used in a grammar definition: "Invalid regular expression: Character expected at position 2"

Since this is not an invalid regular expression, I am wondering why it is not allowed in a grammar definition?

PMatos - You'll have to try this instead:

(0x){0,1}[0-9a-f]{8}

It works the same way... the only difference is that it creates an unnecessary back reference to the 0x characters if they are present.
        BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

The regular expression engine used in the comparison and syntax highlighting only supports a limited subset of the full regular expression syntax. Back references are one of the things it doesn't support, so ?: isn't supported either. Erik handled that work, so I don't know the specifics, but we can't use PCRE like we are in the Find dialog.
          Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks Craig. It sounds like (Ox) in a grammar rule is the same as (?:Ox) in PCRE. That should work fine, then.
            BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

Thank you all for your help. With your tips I got it working just as I wanted.

Cheers,

PM

Comment

Working...
              X