Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Struggling with simple text that I don't want compared.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Struggling with simple text that I don't want compared.

I see there is a number of posts on this topic and I am not getting anywhere closer with reviewing them so I have turned to my own post.

I am trying to tell Beyond Compare 3, to ignore the headers section of some .php files. I have tried creating a "list" under the "grammar" tab in the "File Format" section which is what the help files tell you to do. I have also tried just creating it as a 'basic' with just one line.

For notes: I want to establish this at the folder level, so when it finishes comparing all files/folders, I only see files showing differences that aren't part of the rules I have created.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Once you create the grammar and verify that it is working correctly in a text compare, you will need to edit the Session Settings for your folder compare and enable the Compare contents section using a Rules-based comparison. If you leave Quick tests enabled, be sure to check the option to Override quick test results.

Also be aware that you can, if you wish, go into Tools -> Options -> Startup and change your default quick compare to be rules-based instead of binary-based.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

Hello,

We have a handy KB article here:
      http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo..._unimportantv3

As Michael states, first you must get the grammar working on a file by file level. Once that is done, you configure the Folder Compare to perform the file level comparison on all files.

You can click your blinking cursor into a text area (not select, but just click) and then look at the bottom status bar of the current pane to see the defined grammar item. If it is <default>, or Keyword, or your custom grammar type, etc. Once the grammar is defined, you mark it as Unimportant in the Text Compare's Session menu -> Session Settings. Once it is unimportant, it will appear as blue text if there is a difference.

Ignore Unimportant Text toggle will hide blue text as black text. This toggle is available in the Folder Compare as well.
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
      X