Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

13298 Suggestion: better handling of clipboard session reload

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 13298 Suggestion: better handling of clipboard session reload

    Currently when I reload a clipboard session, BC puts the CURRENT value of the clipboard on the clipboard side(s) without warning. And IDs it with a time (not date) which can falsely match the original.

    This can seriously mislead.

    Whilst BC does not save clipboard in session, I suggest it at least not use the current clipboard, but instead leave the side blank, ideally with the address bar saying e.g. "Clipboard not reloaded." to distingish the side from an originally empty side.
    Last edited by chrisjj; 19-May-2011, 12:19 PM.

  • #2
    Hello,

    A BC3 session does not support saving the entire contents of the comparison at this time. When you save a Session that points to a Clipboard, you are not saving the clipboard itself but the location of "Clipboard". Just like if the session would point to a file, we load the current contents of the file. If you need to reference a specific clipboard later, you will need to store it as a file outside of BC3.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Aaron View Post
      A BC3 session does not support saving the entire contents of the comparison at this time. When you save a Session that points to a Clipboard, you are not saving the clipboard itself but the location of "Clipboard".
      As already acknowledged in the report.

      Originally posted by Aaron View Post
      Just like if the session would point to a file, we load the current contents of the file.
      Bad. Clipboard is very different from file. There is no sound basis for this presumption that the clipboard has remained unchanged since session save.

      Originally posted by Aaron View Post
      If you need to reference a specific clipboard later, you will need to store it as a file outside of BC3.
      I don't so need. I would like BC not to mislead by silently presenting the new clipboard instead of the old. Better to present blank. In the rare case the user does want the current clipboard loaded, that takes just one command.

      Comment


      • #4
        If you use a load clipboard command and then Save the Session, BC is not silently doing anything: you just created a session that points to a File on one side and the Clipboard on the other side. If you want a session to load a blank comparison on that side, then you should blank out that side and then save the session as "File <> Blank". The case where a user would want to load the current clipboard is rare, but we allow power users to do so rather than disabling the behavior entirely. We're sorry this caused you confusion initially.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Aaron View Post
          If you use a load clipboard command and then Save the Session, BC is not silently doing anything
          I did not say otherwise - my report is about Session Load, not Clipboard Load or Session Save.

          Comment

          Working...
          X