Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• page headings

Hello,

We are looking to upgrade our Beyond Compare 2 software to preferably version 3.3.3. (we need to compare .doc files)

The functionality we constantly use in the previous version is the page headings (rules/importance/unimportant text/new/page headings).

Our output files (txt/doc) always exist out of multiple pages.
    And the first line always varies between versions, e.g.:
    "sponsor study-name version YYY date/time stamp"

The best I could achieve was ignoring the first line of the entire file.

The regular expressions I couldn't get to work either.
    I tried in the grammar item under several categories: text matching: ^sponsor

Hello,

First, we do support .doc comparison in BC2 with an additional download, available here:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/downl...z=kb_morerules
    It requires a copy of MS Word is installed on your machine, to perform the plain text conversion.

For BC3, the grammar you are probably looking for is a regular expression:
    ^sponsor.*
    This assumes sponsor is the very beginning of the line, and there is no whitespace in front of it. If this is not the case, let us know and we can come up with a more generic grammar.

Once the grammar is defined, you will need to mark it as unimportant in the Session defaults, on the Home screen in the Edit session defaults folder, Text Compare, in the Importance tab. Unchecked items are unimportant, checked are important.

We also have a kb article and video that go into more detail, here:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo..._unimportantv3

Please let us know if you have any trouble with the definition or have any questions.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hello,

I would prefer using beyond compare 3 due to the amount of files generated.

So I tried to work further on the grammar.
      Unfortunatly I can't seem to get it to work.

I attached two (simplified) test files and a number of screenshots which show the actions I took.
      Is it possible to indicate what I did wrong?

Many thanks

Tom

Comment

I don't believe the beginning-of-line character (^) is permitted when defining a grammar element. Leave it off and the regular expression should work.
        BC v4.0.7 build 19761
        ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

Thank you,

indeed when leaving out the ^ it works fine.

Comment

Thanks for the assistance, Michael. For now, the List element does not support the ^ grammar element, and it would have to be left out of the definition.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
            X