Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to copy a file's "title"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way to copy a file's "title"?

When diffing files in source control, the file name is often a temporary file and not always very useful. Sometimes, I want to copy the string that's displayed before I click on it.

For example, the left pane may be called "src\main\app.cpp", but when I click on that text box, it becomes "c:\users\Michael Kujawa\AppData\Local\Temp\wQjYBHsS.cpp"

I would like to be able to copy "src\main\app.cpp" to the clipboard somehow.

As an example use case:
    When I spawn a diff from git, I will get a compare tab with just one file for any files that were added. If I want to "take that change", as it were, I need to enter the file name when saving, and it would be nice to c&p from the left
    Last edited by Michael Kujawa; 17-Jul-2019, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, the /title (command line argument used to display a title over the real file name) is only for display and not copyable.

I note that you posted this into the BC3 forum, but if you are using BC4 for this scenario, would it help to call git as a dir-diff? This folder view might work better if reviewing multiple diff files at once and you need to copy entire/orphan files.
      Beyond Compare is a multi-platform utility that combines directory compare and file compare functions in one package. Use it to manage source code, keep directories in sync, compare program output, etc.

If you want to trial this feature, you can install BC4's trial without removing your BC3 install.
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
      X