• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack1306
    replied
    Solved

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for your help.
    Well, the real point was: I did nog get the idea that I should define a replacement. Also the Help text did not point me to that. I was thinking that a replacement would really replace parts of my text file.

After defining the replacement, the lines concerned were already blue instead of red, which helped already a lot. Toggling the button 'Ingnore Unimportant Differences' did the rest (the lines concerned became uncolored).

Thanks,
    Jack

Leave a comment:

• Aaron
    replied
    Hello,

If you are using BC3 Pro, you could go to the Text Compare's Session menu -> Session Settings, Replacements tab, and define a new text replacement as "abc88" = "abc99", which would define this specific difference as unimportant.

If you would like to generally mark "abc88" as unimportant, and "abc99" as unimportant, you can follow this KB article guide, with included video:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo..._unimportantv3

The step you are likely missing is marking the newly defined Grammar Element as Unimportant (after it is defined, it is still Important, until changed in the Session Settings, or Session Setting Defaults on the Home screen).

If it is marked as unimportant by default, then a Rules-based Compare in the Folder Compare will use these default settings during it's scan, and present the files as you expect.

If you are new to BC3, I would also recommend our other videos:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/support.php?zz=videos

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Leave a comment:

• Jack1306
    started a topic ignore unimportant difference

ignore unimportant difference

Hi, I am new to Beyond Compare. Seems to be a great tool for me.
    From what I read I understood that (in the pro and trial version) it is possible to instruct the tool to ignore certain 'unimportant differences' which would then not be marked, throughout a whole text file.
    So if one file contains abc88 and the other file contains abc99 (but many times!), it should be possible to tell Beyond Compare 3 that it should NOT mark this as a diffenrence.
    Bu how?? I tried several times, but it just ignored this unimportant difference only once and still marked it all the other occurrences.
    Thanks in advance,
    Jack
Working...
X