Alignment hint file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alignment hint file

I don't know if this has been brought up before ; but ...

I did once flirt with KDiff3. Why, you say, why, when I've held a license for BC for over 10 years?

It was the feature by which you could provide an alignment hint file ; you ran your inputs through a process which generated a separate file, which was the file that the program would use for alignment.

We do a lot of XML file comparison here and text alignment has a tendency to cut the top off one element and run into the next, rather than treating elements as an atomic chunk. TBH, this would also be great for a lot of things like repetitive blocks in Java code, etc, where the same thing happens.

e.g. for out hypothetical XML model, you'd generate a plain text file where each line was just the ID of the element that occupied that line. You could then align further within the context of each of those blocks.

Anyway, KDiff3 didn't turn out to be good enough. But I still think this would be a really good feature for BCompare.

Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion and research. Improving our alignment using the syntax of the file is definitely something on our wishlist, and this is an interesting strategy. I'll add your notes to our entry on the subject.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
    X