Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

File Encoding Error - Limitation for length of single line w/ text compare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Encoding Error - Limitation for length of single line w/ text compare?

I am trying to compare 2 SQL dump files created from a WordPress database, but the reading in of the files stops and is cut off inside a line that is very long. The line has a length of 76574 chars and the line and file is cut after 56170 chars.

The file is UTF-8 format, dump created by phpMyadmin. Is this a built in limitation of BC4 I have run into or is it actually a bug?

/Joakim

Hello,

The current Text format (Tools menu -> File Formats) controls the characters per line limit. Our max value is 65536 in the current version, so your line would be split even if you increased to the max value. It's on our wishlist to increase this limit.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Ok thanks for that answer Aron, explains it. But wouldn't it be saner to give something like a "Line too long" error or warning, truncating what's displayed in the line and continue the comparison, rather than as now simply cut the file loading and no further comparison?

I understand this must be a rare situation, and frankly I don't know why WordPress produces such a massive data field, but at least Subversion doesn't seem to have any problem with swallowing the line...

/Joakim

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. It's also on our radar to improve messaging, although we'd possibly tackle both at once if we have the resources for a developer to dig into this section of the code.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X