BC 4.4: Transfer aborted. Link to file server lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC 4.4: Transfer aborted. Link to file server lost

Tried to update some files on a ftps (explicit SSL) connection I'm using for some time already, but today I only received "450 Transfer aborted. Link to file server lost" errors. Files got truncated, and timestamps are not set to the local files' timestamps. Happening to both binary and text files.

I tried downgrading to 4.3.7 then, and here the upload worked without error messages, so it looks like some change in 4.4 version.

Is there any further info I can give you to look into this issue?

Additional info: One of the files got truncated after 8k, should have been about 15k. (Haven't made a note for the other files.)

Comment

Hello,

Yes, could you enable the various debug messaging options in the Tools menu -> Options, Tweaks section, scroll down to the Log Panel area, then email in a copy of the log to [email protected]? Please also include a link back to this forum thread.
      If you can also include a 437 log (you can use Portable Installs to have both installs at the same time), that could also be helpful. Seeing the server information and the error would be great.

How often does the transfer fail over how many total attempted files? And the timestamp issue, I assume is consistent? If you check the server with an alternate SFTP client after uploading with BC4, do the timestamps match BC4's display?
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Oh, sorry, and I forgot to add: please also email in your BCSupport.zip (Help menu -> Support; Export) so we can get a copy of your system info.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

support data sent via email

Regarding your additional questions:
          • "How often does the transfer fail over how many total attempted files"
            => I had twenty-something files, but stopped after errors occurred. At that time it had tried to copy two files, and both had failed.
          • "And the timestamp issue, I assume is consistent"
            => retested with a single file: after stopping the file transfer after the first 8k, timestamp was set to / remained at current date/time (some four minutes apart). Using a different ftp client the same (wrong) timestamp was being displayed
            => looks to me that after aborting the file transfer BC does neither delete the incomplete file nor update the timestamp.

Comment

Thanks. Received the email and looking over the logs. I'll pass it on to the developers and also had a couple quick questions/tests if you have the time (server info and toggling off the HOST option in the Profile).
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

One additional bit of info, not sure if relevant: Comparing files (and downloading for this purpose) does work, only copying / storing on server seems to be a problem.

Regarding the questions:
              • Disabling "HOST" did remove the (seemingly unrelated) error message about "command not understood", but did not resolve the error on transfer.
              • I've reached out to my provider regarding the server info.

Comment

The truncated file "Transfer aborted. Link to file server lost" issue is fixed in Beyond Compare 4.4.1, released today.
                Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks for notifying me. I did a short retest with 4.4.1 as the new version came out, but alas, the fix does not work for me. I still get a "Transfer aborted. Link to file server lost" error. Only that this time it does not truncate after 8k of source file size, but does store nothing on the remote server (file size over there is 0 bytes).

Is there any logging etc. I can provide you with which would help you tackling this error?

Comment

Hello,

Thanks. With our previous sample files and settings, our test case was working with your test account. Could we get an updated BCSupport.zip with your latest 4.4.1 settings sent to [email protected] (with a link back to this forum thread for our reference)?

Also, if you have a sample file or two that causes truncation when uploaded, could you throw a couple copies into the Shared\ folder or include as a .zip in the email? We can then test with it as well.
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

(Hm, somehow I did not receive a forum notification this time, found your update by sheer luck.)

But anyway, I did a retest today with a portable install of 4.4.1, after having exported my current 4.3.7 settings (which should be unchanged with regard to the test server) and having imported them to the 4.4.1 install. Tested two files, one of which fails. I've send a copy of my settings and the failing file in original state via e-mail to support, linking to this issue.

Thanks for diving into this.

Comment

To confirm, if you perform repeated tests with the failed file (delete the destination and retry the transfer) does it reproduce every time? Or does the issue manifest periodically or commonly, with different files; it just requires multiple tries or larger transfers of multiple files?

It should have sent an email for the notification, but we just transferred the forum software, so the in forum notification might have been lost in the shuffle. Does this one notify you?
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                          To confirm, if you perform repeated tests with the failed file (delete the destination and retry the transfer) does it reproduce every time? Or does the issue manifest periodically or commonly, with different files; it just requires multiple tries or larger transfers of multiple files?
                          It does not happen with all files, but for those files that fail, it seems to consistently fail. I've found another file failing, this time a much larger file (about 4MB) - will send you details via e-mail. Being at least 8k in size seems to be a prerequisite, though, as the minimum size that gets transferred is 8k.

It should have sent an email for the notification, but we just transferred the forum software, so the in forum notification might have been lost in the shuffle. Does this one notify you?
                          No, did not get a notification on this as well, found your reply by looking at the forum only.

Comment

Ok, I'll dig into the email.

For the forum, make sure you are Subscribed to this thread (top right) and in the UserName menu in the top-top right go to User Settings, and in the Notifications tab, make sure Email is set to On, and the correct checkboxes are checked (for varying levels of notifications).
                            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

For the forum, make sure you are Subscribed to this thread [...]
                              Thanks, Aaron, for the pointer. Everything was set to "on" already, including being (auto-) subscribed to this thread, except that the "e-mail notifications" were set to "off, through my Message Center only" somehow. As I don't think I have changed that lately, and as indeed I did receive notifications before, this may have been a glitch during migration to the cloud-based version.
                              But anyway, this switch is now set back to "On", so it should work from now on.

And thanks for digging into the "link to file server lost" issue once again.

Comment

Working...
                              X