Folder compare did not detect external change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folder compare did not detect external change

I had a folder compare open and updated a file outside using Subversion. The file was not automatically shown as being changed (i.e. the list did not automatically refresh after a time) and even pressing F5 did not cause BC4 Mac to see the file as being changed. Had to do a full refresh. In Windows version (BC3) changed files show in the list more or less immediately without and manual refresh. Having to do a full refresh takes a while (hundreds of files in directory structure I'm dealing with). Is BC4 Mac supposed to detect external changes automatically (i.e. be watching the directory structure that is being viewed)?

Hello,

This is a couple of things happening at once to create a confusing situation:

A) BC4 for Mac does not use F5 for Refresh (or Ctrl F5 for Full Refresh). F5 is a Windows convention/hotkey, while on OSX this is Cmd+R. On OSX, BC4 follows the OS convention and uses the same shortcut, which should be listed next to the menu item and in the Customize Commands list.

B) BC3 on Windows also does not automatically refresh or detect changes from a Folder Compare. We currently only support this in the Text Compare/file level. There is a Folder Compare session setting to Refresh every X minutes, if you have this enabled. Otherwise, you would need to (Quick) Refresh in BC3 in a Folder Compare as well.

Does this help explain the current behavior and capabilities? Please let us know if you have any questions.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks for the explanation. I did have the F5 mapped for Refresh (muscle memory has me wanting to have the Windows key mappings). I think the automatic refresh I have seen may be when the same directory is in two separate folder compare sessions. If I change a file in session B and go back to session A the changed file appears there in red without a refresh (when it wasn't even shown in that session before or was in black). However, I have just observed that behavior on the Mac and I can't say for certain that I've seen F5/Refresh not work. So no bug to report at this point.

Comment

Hello,

Another fact that might help explain this behavior: BC3 windows and tabs within the same process can share information, which can allow other tabs to be updated.

UPDATE: This also includes BC4
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X