Clicking folder browse icon crashes BC on Mac Monterey beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clicking folder browse icon crashes BC on Mac Monterey beta

I am running Apple M1, Macbook Pro 13in 2020, MacOS 12.0 Monterey latest beta (21A5534d), BC v4.4 build 25886. The program runs fine if I use saved folder compare sessions. If I am in a folder compare window and click on either the right or left choose/open folder icon it immediately crashes. Same behaviour if I reset all preferences to default. BC has full folder access permission in MacOS.

While testing this right now, I just realized if I click the little drop down arrow beside the icon, it shows two options, "Browse File System..." and "Browse Using Profile..." and choosing the first option actually does work here. Using the "Browse Using Profile..." immediately crashes BC. So at least I can continue using BC if I remember to do the extra click. It seems clicking the choose folder icon is defaulting to the profile option? Can that be changed? What is that option supposed to do?

Summary:
    Clicking the folder icon = immediate crash
    Clicking the arrow and "Browse Using Profile..." = immediate crash
    Clicking the arrow and "Browse File System..." = works properly and used to be the expected default result when just clicking the folder icon.

Thanks for the report. If you load using File System, could you provide what kind of file system devices are shown (internal hdd, multiple internal drives, external usb, network, etc)? You can post here or email us at [email protected] (along with a link back to this forum thread for our reference).
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

the usual finder browse window shows up

Comment

Yes, though could we get more details on the types of devices plugged in and the items located in the Network folder? The blocked out names could be important. If you'd like to email privately, it's at [email protected] (with a link to this forum thread for our reference). We've gotten one or two of these reports, and I'm trying to narrow down if there's a specific device type or naming of an item that is causing the issue, or perhaps a file system or partitioning of the external devices or Network location?

My own MacOS system, for example, has an internal drive with multiple partitions, a usb thumb stick Drive, and another external multi-partition fat32/ntfs drive, but doesn't throw the issue.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Ok, here is how everything is setup. If you look at the file browser window I have numbered the drives:
          1. MacOS HD, I have not changed anything about the way this is partitioned. See additional Disk Utility screenshots below for how each drive is setup.
          2. SSD
          3. HDD
          4. HHD
          5. SSD
          6. HDD
          7. Airport Time Capsule showing, but I am not connected to it, others in the office use it.

Screenshots of finder browser and Mac HD. next post will be screenshots of the other drives
          Click image for larger version

Name:	bc3.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	86608

Name:	BC4.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	86609Click image for larger version

Name:	BC5.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	86607Click image for larger version

Name:	BC6.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	86610
          Attached Files

Comment

other drives

Name:	BC7a.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	86612Click image for larger version

Name:	BC7b.jpg
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	86614Click image for larger version

Name:	BC7c.jpg
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	86613Click image for larger version

Name:	BC7d.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	86615Click image for larger version

Name:	BC7e.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	86616

Comment

I tested BC 4.4 on macOS Monterey beta (21A5543b) on an Apple M1 macbook air, but it didn't crash when I selected Browse Using Profile in the Folder Compare. However, it did prompt to give Beyond Compare permission to access several folders. In case the permission prompt is the issue, does it help if you give Beyond Compare full disk access?

To give Beyond Compare full disk access:
              System Preferences.
              Security & Privacy.
              Privacy tab.
              Full Disk Access.
              Click lock to make changes.
              Click +.
              Select Beyond Compare in the Applications folder.
              Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Same issue here, after I give the full disk access, it still crash.

Comment

Thanks, and from your other thread you are on MacOS 12.0.1 (not beta) correct? And after switching the Full Disk Access you rebooting the system (as an extra troubleshooting step)?
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

1. mac os:
                    2. reboot after full disk access

3. stll crash, the report is too big for attaching here.

Comment

Any additional logs can be emailed to us at [email protected]. Please include a link back to this thread in the email for our reference. If the file is particularly large, would you be able to privately host it (or via a service like Dropbox or OneDrive), create a private share link, and then send the link in the email instead of the actual file?
                      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Did you find a solution to the problem? I am experiencing the exact same issue as OP. BC crashes when using "Browse Using Profile..."

Comment

Hello,

Yes, we have a fix for this issue in the next release (4.4.1) that we're currently working on. In the meantime, you can use the Browse File System for a graphical dialog. To load one of our profiles, you can also use:
                          Code:
                          profile:profile name
                          syntax in the folder/file paths, including
                          Code:
                          profile:profile name?subfolder
                          or to an FTP using:
                          ftp://[email protected]/folder/
                          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thank you, much appreciated.

Comment

A fix for the Browse using Profile crash on macOS is in Beyond Compare 4.4.1, released to the download page today.
                              Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
                              X